Thursday, February 26, 2009

I Don't Want So Much Debt Passed Onto Future Generations

Today, President Barack Obama released his over 3 trillion dollar Federal
budget. Among many things which this budget does is to increase the size of
the Federal deficit to from 1.2 trillion to 1.75 trillion dollars depending
on which news source you believe.

1.2 or 1.75 trillion, it's still too much. While the Federal Government
continues to spend spend spend, future generations like my nephews and
nieces will be left to pay the bill. And, the budget released doesn't even
begin to tackle the ticking time bomb, entitlement spending which is
spiraling out of control.

I'm not a Government budget forecaster and I am thankful I do not have to
make the tough decisions that have to be made, but they do. For starters,
we have to spend some money to help our economy and to fight the wars our
country is engaged in with troops on the ground. Beyond that, we need to
get our Federal fiscal house in order. Neither me nor anyone reading this
would be able to spend money we do not have. Why should the Government be
able to do this, particularly when the money they are spending is yours and
my tax money?

We've got problems economically, but we can't grow our Government to get out
of them. Doesn't anyone read history? Japan went through the Lost Decade
trying to grow itself out of economic problems. I shudder when I think of
what debt future generations, including my nieces and nephews will have to
pay off, debt that we, irresponsibly, left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment