Saturday, December 12, 2009

Nothing Like Good Old fashioned Christmas Music

To me, there's nothing like hearing good old fashioned Christmas music to
get me into the spirit of the season. As we have done for the past 10 years
or so, we went to the <a href=:www.westtownschorus.org:>West Towns
Chorus</a> Christmas Show, "The Gift of Christmas." This is a show where
the first half is singing of Christmas music, some narration, and even a
funny bit or two like the Scrambled Craigs singing Jingle Bells to the tune
of Silver Bells. The second half, though, takes me back to the reason we
celebrate Christmas, the birth of our saviour, Jesus. Much of the second
half of this show is a reading of the Christmas story with music
interspursed. The show ends with a stunning rendition of "Oh Come All Ye
Faithful."

While I do many things at this time of the year, it's this show that really
puts me into the Christmas spirit. Hearing a chorus or quartet sing such
favorites as Jingle Bell Rock, It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year,
Sleigh Ride and others just makes me feel good all over.

This show is usually on the second weekend of December. They do four shows:
a Friday night show, Saturday matinee, Saturday Night and Sunday Matinee.
The Sunday was just added this year. The venue is the Tivoli Theater, an
old movie house in Downtown Downers Grove, Illinois.

I vow that the good lord willing I won't miss this show. Even if I move out
of the area, I'll always try to come back for it. It's truly a great show
and one that shouldn't be missed. Tickets usually go on sale around October
1 of each year. Keep a watch on <a href="www.westtownschorus.org">West
Towns Chorus'</a> website for further information.

No comments:

Post a Comment