Thursday, April 2, 2009

Good Bye Dear Old Friend, Part IV

Soon, my parents' farm, with machinery and buildings wil be sold. As that
day draws closer, I have mixed feelings.

I'm happy for mom and dad. They are both in very good health and can enjoy
retirement. I hope they make the most of it. If they want to travel, they
can. If they want to still maintain a garden, they can. If one or both of
them decides to go to work somewhere part time, go for it. The fact is they
won't have to spend their springs and summers worrying about getting enough
rain, or that their yields won't be high enough. They won't have to worry
about making enough money off the crop to pay their expenses. They won't
have to fix broken down machinery.

I'm saddened, though, because this means the death of yet another family
farm. It means either that corporate farmers who don't care about the land
as much will take over. Or, it means developers will move in and build yet
more houses, roads and other things on perfectly good land. Like a favorite
song of mine by Dan Riley talks about, "Quarter Acre Lots." It will be sad
to see such a great piece of property which has been in the family for
generations meet either fate.

Finally, I'm angry because what is happening to my parents is just one more
example of how people don't realize how important farmers are. Groceries
don't grow on supermarket shelves. The farmer has to raise the animals or
tend to the crops which make up our food. That big slab of ribs you may be
enjoying, well, that was a pig that was raised by a farmer at one time.
Those potato skins you are enjoying, well, they were planted, watched over,
and harvested by a farmer somewhere.

It's really hitting home that the family farm appears to be a dying breed
and it pisses me off. While I'm happy for my parents as they will enter a
new chapter in their lives, I'm saddened and angry over what the farm sale
signifies.

But with all of my feelings, there is only one thing I can do. And that is
to say, good bye dear old friend, the farm. You were there as I grew from a
boy into a man. You brought me joy. You are where I learned about life.
Good bye, and may god bless you, my parents and our whole family as we wish
our dear old friend well.

No comments:

Post a Comment