Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Sale is Over, the Farm is Gone!

Well, the title pretty much says it all. My parents' farm sale is now
history. I was there to witness it.

Before going to the sale, I wondered how I would react. I'm certainly very
sad to see another family farm die, but I'm happy that my parents are going
out in good health and on their terms.

The sale, in many ways provided me some closure. When I got to the farm, I
walked around, looking at everything for the last time. I needed to do
that. I looked at a grain bin that I helped Dad build some 32 years ago. I
walked through the sale and at several points, memories came flooding back
to me. I passed the hay baler which I worked behind and loaded bales. I
passed several other pieces of equipment that I remember either riding on or
being around.

The sale was satisfactory in that my parents were happy with the results.
If it was hard for them, they did not show it. I must wear my emotions on
my sleeve because a couple of people told me after the sale they thought I
was a little sad about it.

So now, my family is out of farming. They can move on with the rest of
their lives. Another family farm is gone, that's the sad part. I hope
people realize how important the farmer is, even though today's farmers are
the corporate types not the family farmers.

No comments:

Post a Comment