Tuesday, June 16, 2009

To Show Or Not to Show I.D., That Is the Question

There has been discussion on an e-mail list I'm on about whether
people who use guide dogs should be required to show I.D. cards
for their dogs. Let me weigh in.

To make things clear, I don't use a guide dog. Yet, I would be
the first to step forward and uphold the rights of a guide dog
user to access a public place with their dog.

The Americans with Disabilities Act doesn't require that an I.D.
be shown so I'm told, I'd have to research the appropriate
regulations to verify that. This is to accommodate privately
trained service animals. BTW, those ain't service animals but
they are glorified pets in my opinion.

Be that as it may, this is a case where if you have the I.D., you
need to show it in my opinion. So what if it isn't required.
How fucking hard is it to dig out the card, show it to the person
asking for it, and put it away? Those who think otherwise are
being militant fuckheads in my opinion. And don't use the Rosa
Parks analogy on me. That only would have worked if Ms. Parks
had to show some sort of I.D. to prove she could sit in the
front of the bus, and after showing it, she was told to move to
the back.

BTW, it's dealing with shit like this that is a big reason I
don't use a guide dog and never will! But again, don't get me
wrong, I'll be the first one to stand up for the rights of dog
handlers as long as those rights are exercised in a responsible
manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment