Saturday, October 31, 2009

Never Underestimate How What You Do In School Can Help You Later In Life

Today, I had the opportunity to give an important professional presentation
to the Assistive Technology Industry Association conference in Schaumburg,
Illinois. I presented an hour long presentation on GPS technology and how
it is used by people who are blind, compared several of the systems
currently being used, and discussed when it is appropriate to offer training
in the use of these systems.

My presentation went off almost flawlessly, and I owe that to my having
competed for four years in high school in public speaking. This was the
first time I gave a full presentation using Power Point, something which
professionals are expected to do. While I didn't dry run the presentation
before giving it with Power Point slides, it still went well.

I am just so thankful that I took public speaking seriously in high school.
I was not nervous about this presentation at all. I felt it was well
organized, and my boss who was there and who is always very up front and
honest with me told me this as well. My voice, posture and body language
were all very good. There were only two things that I could have done a bit
better. These were better positioned myself based on the room layout to
face my audience, and, better placement of my Netbook computer and Braille
notes.

All in all, I am happy to report that my audience was engaged and asked very
good questions. I used to think people asked me lots of questions if I
didn't tell them enough or communicate my information clearly. This was not
the case this morning, as they were engaged in what I was saying. That is
what any presenter wants.

The things I take away from today and share with you are:
1. Never underestimate the importance of things you do in school later in
life,
2. If you plan and organize, anyone can make a solid presentation,
3. People who are blind can give professional presentations with the best
of them, and
4. don't fear getting lots of questions, if you know what you are talking
about and communicate with confidence they'll see it and ask lots of good
questions because they respect you as an expert on the subject and want to
learn more from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment