Monday, October 12, 2009

What Ever Happened To Til Death Do Us Part?

The subject line pretty much says it all. Does the commitment of marriage
mean anything anymore?

I ask this based on two situations. First, one of my best friends and his
wife have been going through some problems for a while. It seems as though
they both want to separate, but neither will make the move to do it. These
two have not taken advantage of opportunities in my opinion to try working
out their problems. They knew who each other was when they married some 7
years ago. What ever happened to working things out? Neither of these two
is perfect, but no human being is. They both have their problems, but
that's what they agreed to live with, for richer or poorer when they said "I
do."

The second situation is a family member who is separating from her husband
of nearly 20 years. There's another woman involved here from what I
understand. This one makes me angry. He committed himself to my relative
when they said "I do." That's something that no one should break apart.
What was he not getting at home that he thought he had to go out and have an
affair with someone else?

All marriages go through rocky patches. Those that are truly committed will
work through those, bringing about a stronger bond of love. It really makes
me angry that there are so many who make a commitment to get married and
forsake all others, then when the going gets a little tough, they either
want out or have an affair with someone elswe. People need to get back to
what the true meaning of marriage is, one man, one woman, together forever
until death do us part.

No comments:

Post a Comment