Friday, January 15, 2010

What Dr. King's Dream Means to Me

Today is the actual birthday for one of the greatest men in our nation's
history, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Yes, I know we will celebrate on
Monday, January 18.

The holiday that celebrates this man's birthday is more than part of a three
day weekend to me. As I sit and reflect on what Dr. King's dream means to
me, I come up with a couple of things.

First, Dr. King's work for a society in which African-Americans are afforded
equal opportunity and respect has led to other groups being able to do the
same things. As a person who is blind, I am indebted to Dr. King for
fighting so hard for civil rights. The work Dr. King and those who followed
him did has led to such civil rights laws as the Americans with Disabilities
Act. Thank you, Dr. King, for leading our nation toward one in which all
citizens, regardless of race, gender, national origin, physical or mental
disability, ETC. can be all they want to be. My wife and I have spent the
last few years in King day doing business on the community. Thanks to Dr.
King's work, we have the right to go into stores, purchase goods and
services, and know that we have the right to receive equal service as those
without disabilities.

In thinking about Dr. King's work, I cannot help but look at the so-called
African-American leaders out there and shake my head. Jesse Womanizer
Jackson and Al Big Mouth Sharpton couldn't even hold open the door for Dr.
King, much less carry on his legacy. I truly hope African-Americans figure
that out and figure out that they can excel to whatever position they want
too, and that they thank Dr. King for that. Look at our President,
President Barack Obama. He is living proof that anyone, regardless of race,
can strive to be elected to the highest office in arguably, the most
powerful nation on earth. You have to admire President Obama, regardless of
your political persuasion. A later entry I wil post will grade him after
his first year, and it will be very harsh. But, if any President,
regardless of color did the things he has done I'd grade them the same way.

So as we reflect on the words and work of Dr. King, let us strive to keep
our nation one in which all people can equally enjoy te opportunities they
want to take advantage of.

No comments:

Post a Comment