Sunday, March 29, 2009

Final 4 All Set

Well, just two weeks ago, 65 teams were announced as participants in the
NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament and the madness began. As of this
afternoon, we're down to the final four who will compete next weekend in
Detroit, Michigan for the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship.

The National Semifinals will be next Saturday, April 4. It will start at
about 5:00 in the afternoon. After what I will have been through that day,
I'll need the escape of the games but more on that as the week progresses.

The first game will be between Michigan State University and U-Conn.
Frankly, I am surprised that either of these two teams are there. While
U-Con was a number 1 seed, I felt they were the weakest of the number 1's
and would have been knocked out. Jim Calhoune is a great coach and he's
been here before.

This game matches two great coaches, Calhoune and Michigan State's Tom Isso.
Both know what it takes to win at the Final 4. While I think this will be a
close game, I give a slight edge to Michigan State. They just seem to be
better on defense and they will, practically, be playing at home as the
Final 4 is being played in Detroit. If they can bring their defensive game
like they did today against Louisville, they should beat U-Conn. Don't
count Calhoune out, though.

The second game pits the University of North Carolina against Vilanova. It
would be easy to look at this game and say, of course, North Carolina.
Don't do that. While North Carolina has been playing very well during the
tournament, Villanova came in hot and have stayed that way. They also are
battle tested as they play in the rugged Big East conference.

Looking at this game, I give the edge to North Carolina. While I think this
will be a close game throughout, Carolina's experience will prevail in the
end.

So my National Championship game pits Michigan State against North Carolina
on Monday, April 6. Here, too, I'll pick North Carolina. While Michigan
State has had a great tournament run, and while if they won the national
championship it would not surprise me, I again think Carolina's experience
will rule the day.

Only three games to go and the madness will be behind us for another year.
As usual, it has been a great tournament. Once the madness is behind us,
it's on to baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment