Monday, March 9, 2009

Obama Continues To play Loose with Taxpayer Dollars

Well, President Obama is at it again. Today, he has, by
Executive Order, lifted the ban on using Federal funds for
embryonic stem cell research. By doing this he continues to play
loose with yours and my tax dollars.

Obama's actions today were not necessary, although he did not go
as far as he could have which I appreciate. Embryonic stem cell
research has been permitted; all that was banned by the Bush
administration was using Federal dollars to pay for it. This
policy struck an important balance between allowing research to
move forward while respecting the rights of tax payers like me
who have ethical concerns with it.

If I could be 100% sure that the embryos being used truly were
those being discarded by invetro fertilization clinics, I could
support Federal funding of this kind of research. Neither I nor
anyone else can be sure this is 100% true. I fear we are heading
down a slippery slope with today's decision. You just watch!
Congress will soon act to repeal the law that bans creation of
embryos for research purposes. Then, we're really in trouble!

We need to support and fund ethical medical research. Many
tremendous medical advances have come about thanks to research on
stem cells, adult ones. I support mothers saving cord blood for
the cell contents it contains for research. The destruction of
embryos, however, crosses an ethical line and I do not want my
tax dollars used to pay for it. Let those scientists who plan on
conducting this research apply for foundation or other grants to
do it. Let them seek money from states which allow state dollars
to fund this kind of research. Scientists have said they have
alternatives to embryonic stem cells, such as adult skin cells.
Since embryonic stem cell research presents ethical questions,
Federal dollars should you be used to pay for it and I am
offended that President Obama and others feel my ethical concerns
do not matter, that they can spend my tax dollars as they see fit
for this research!

No comments:

Post a Comment